Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Life Lessons.


hello world,
So things here on this island are pretty good. There's actually a typhoon going on right now, which is why I am actually blogging! This should happen more often. Well over the past few weeks that i've been here i've learned a few things. I'm not quite sure why I tend to learn life lessons when i'm far away from home, but I guess that's the way it works. (i'm sorry about this extremely long post, i've learned a lot. Feel free to stop reading whenever you want.) So here they are:


  1. You teach by example, you learn by example. 
    • Over the past 5 weeks as I've been teaching these kiddos over here in Taiwan, I've come to realize that they don't really know what i'm saying sometimes, or all the time. Body language, action and example are essential in every single thing I do if I actually want them to understand me. I must do what I want them to do. As I thought about this it has helped me gain a better understanding of WHY Christ came to the Earth and WHY he did all that he did, instead of just having it written in scripture or something. He set the example for us to learn what we need to do to become like him and what we need to do to be the best we can be. It's pretty amazing that someone would care about us enough to do that. Not only do i need to work on teaching others by the way i act, but i also need to follow the example that my savior has set for me. 
  2. People are people, not objects. LOVE with your whole heart. 
    • So my dad is a bit crazy about this book called The Anatomy of Peace. Everyone in my family is supposed to read it.. according to the parentals, but that's fine with me because it really is a great book. I'm not finished with it yet but i've learned a huge lesson so far and that is that one should not see others as objects, but as people, with real feelings, real struggles, real heartache. You never, ever, ever know what someone else is going through. Don't treat others like they are worth nothing, but rather see each other as celestial beings that they are and love them. Love everyone no matter what the circumstances are. 
  3. There is a purpose to everything.
    • So the other week at I was sitting in the English lessons held at the church and one of the new elders in the area was teaching some of the non-members about the plan of happiness. He first asked everyone where they thought that they came from and some of them said rocks and such and he asked things like, " why do you think you are here?" and just those usual questions. And then he went to ask, "Why would you even try if there was no purpose in this life? Why try to be better? why learn? why do anything at all?" That really hit me for some reason. THERE IS A REASON THAT WE ARE HERE. We are here to learn and to grow and to reach our potential of one day being able to be like God ourselves. It's crazy how everything works. 
  4. Relationships with others > things.
    • simple as that. you don't take things with you when you die. you take relationships.
  5. God will provide the means by which you can accomplish something, you still have to act. 
    •  There's a long story behind this, but i'll spare you the details. Alma 60:21. if you want something to happen, make it happen. Heavenly father will give you whatever you need to accomplish it but you need to do it. 
  6. We are here to grow to our ultimate potential. 
    • travel, travel, travel. learn, learn, learn. and all the rest.
So yeah. sorry again about the incredibly long post. these are just realizations and things I really, really need to work on. So yes. hope everyone is still doing good. 

Love,
Nani. 

1 comment: